Monday, August 10, 2009

My New Job

I received permission several weeks ago to blog about my job as a line cook at Heron's. I have been putting it off though because I wasn't sure what to write about. The cuisine is intense and awesome, but it is not mine. I do not create the food at Heron's our chef, Scott Crawford, does. And he is extremely talented and driven. Which is why I went to work for him.

The first three months or so have been crazy. I have learned a lot including that as always, you never know enough. I spent my first couple of weeks not truly knowing how to brunoise correctly to get perfect little squares. It all makes sense now, but then it was a struggle. I have had to do my own cooking research in order to produce the food Chef Crawford wants and I have never had to work so hard in a kitchen. And I have worked at some places that really put you to test.

The big difference is that yearning for perfection. Some say there is no perfect dish, but it is the yearning for perfection that really drives us to make perfect knife cuts and to perfectly season. Most of what we do is beyond the guests we serve. They probably don't notice that the butternut squash was cut into perfect little 1/8 inch squares.

So for now I plan on writing about my station. It is what we call Hot Apps or hot appetizers. On the current menu I have four regular menu items and one item on tasting. On the menu I cook, Mushroom soup, butternut squash risotto, bacon wrapped quail, butter poached lobster. Chef Crawford has agreed to give me pictures of the food and as I get them I will write and describe.

On a side note I got to work with Dean McCord last night. I can't wait to see what he posts about his two nights at the restaurant. Check out his blog to see what he has to say.

1 comment:

Varmint said...

It was a pleasure working with you, Colin, although a better description may have been that it was a pleasure watching you guys work while I stood around a lot! I did a bit more on the second night when you were gone, but still not a lot, by any means.