Saturday, May 24, 2008

Foams


There is a lot of debate on the use of foams in the culinary world. Most comments I've heard are on their over use. Until today I hadn't attempted a foam because I didn't want to jump the band wagon. I like the idea of a light airy sauce but wasn't sure what application to use it with. We started a tuna trio appetizer featuring tuna tartar, sashimi and a lightly seared tuna. For the sashimi we were serving a ponzu as a dipping sauce. I thought it might be fun to foam the ponzu for a little more plate appeal. I can't believe I didn't use a foam before. Not only does the foam add the light airy whisp of ponzu but the practicality of it works with the dish. As one dips the sashimi into a liquid ponzu and pulls it out the majority of the ponzu runs off leaving a faint trace of the flavor. The foam, being gelled, actually sticks to the piece of tuna lending more flavor to the tuna. Not to mention the light brown color looks pretty sexy on the plate.

No comments: