Saturday, April 19, 2008

Caramelized Yogurt

We caramelized yogurt for a special this week. It was a new technique for me but worked out really well. The idea is to cook the yogurt sous vide for 24 hours at 180 degrees. Well, I don't have my vacuum sealer yet and wasn't sure how to start. Ziplock bags work really well. We pressed as much air out of the bags as possible and sank them into poaching water at around 190. We covered the bain with plastic and foil in order to prevent too much water loss, and placed it in an oven set around 190, I think. Either way 12 hours later and 2 broken ziplock bags we still had our desired results.
I know it doesn't look too pretty. It reminds me of foie gras and had the consistency of melted and cooled cheese if that makes any sense. But the flavor base was right. We took about equal parts cooked and uncooked yogurt and ran it through a blender with some salt, sugar and yuzu juice. Wow, the flavor was awesome. Creamy, smooth with slight brown butter taste.

Much better. We used the caramalized yogurt with Harissa Grilled scallops and grilled ramps which just hit the market hear. It is an awesome dish and I can't stop eating it.

No comments: